Temple Of The Dawn
Temple of the dawn is a Buddhist temple in the Bangkok Yai district of Bangkok, Thailand, on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the temple is Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahavihara, but for Thai people calls Wat Arun.
The temple was built in the days of Thailand's ancient capital of Ayutthaya and originally known as Wat Makok. In the ensuing era when Thonburi was capital, King Taksin changed the name to Wat Chaeng.
The Wat had a brief period as host of the Emerald Buddha, which was moved to Wat Phra Kaew in 1784.
The later King Rama II changed the name to Wat Arunratchatharam. He restored the temple and enlarged the central prang. The work was finished by King Rama III.
King Rama IV gave the temple the present name Wat Arunratchawararam.
As a sign of changing times, Wat Arun officially ordained its first westerner in 2005, Sean Patrick from America.
The outstanding feature of Wat Arun is its central prang. It may be named "Temple of the Dawn" because the first light of morning reflects off the surface of the temple with a pearly iridescence. Steep steps lead to the two terraces. The height is reported by different sources as between 66,80 m and 86 m. The corners are surrounded by 4 smaller satellite prangs. The prangs are decorated by seashells and bits of porcelain which had previously been used as ballast by boats coming to Bangkok from China.
Next to the prangs is the Ordination Hall with the Niramitr Buddha image supposedly designed by King Rama II. The front entrance of the Ordination Hall has a roof with a central spire, decorated in coloured ceramic and stuccowork sheated in coloured china. There are 2 demons, or temple guardian figures in front.